Yamaha jumping jacks

Steve Ganz steveganz@mailaka.net
Wed, 02 Nov 2005 12:50:15 -0800

About 2 years ago, when I had been regulating for about 30 years, I was
called in to solve this problem for a Yamaha dealership.  I noticed that
the client played with a lighter than normal touch.  But she was right,
after playing her whole life and not having this problem before, why
should have to change her style now?  So I regulated this console action
as close as I could get it.  I paid close attention to after touch where
the jack escapes the butt.  I noticed that the loose pinning on some of
the butt flanges contributed to the problem, but did not really solve it
all, but helped.  I replaced some of the butt felt, backed off the let
off, loosened springs on the damper levers (so as not to push back on
the spoons), tightened the butt springs. loosened the butt springs,
fiddled every way that has been mentioned so far in this string.  After
all was done, the problem still remained, although much less than when I
first started.  Although this may fit in the parameters of properly
playing for a firmer touch, a light touch it will not accommodate.  I
think that it is improperly designed.
Steve Ganz