Leather Key Bushings

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 09:17:23 -0800

I'm always willing to be reeducated.  So where do you get good key
bushing leather?

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:31 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Leather Key Bushings

 Davids & Terry
  my limited exposure to leather is that it holds up for a very long
time & seeing that many of our performance pianos turn a new set of
nicely fit bushings to a sloppy fit in about a years time leaves me
frustrated. So Trix & I are currently finding  leather supply & tehcs to
work with it to see if this will alleviate this problem. Imho It simply
isn't practical to replace a set of keybushings every year or so.
   I've seen many older Bosy's & Euro pianos with bushing at least 100
years old that were fit right up to a new type tolerance of a few thous.
Really amazing. I remember that Joel & Pris Rapport used a lot of
leather bushings as well.
  Occasional lubrication would be easy & preferrable to many sets of
bushings & continual sloppy keys
   Dale
My 2cents...

Leather has a very high coefficient friction and leather bushing are an
absolute disaster unless are liberally treated with microfine teflon
powder.  Without dry lube the key plays a lot harder with a sideways
glancing stroke and the bushings wear out and start to get noisy very
quickly.... the same goes for cloth bushings but it is not as critical
as
with leather...

You can test this easily by putting a little side pressure on the front
key
pin as you move the key up and down....  It takes a lot more force to
move
the key with a little side pressure if the bushing has not been treated
with dry lube...

David Stanwood