Temp and Pitch

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:47:37 -0800

In general, for both fork and string, colder = sharper.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Conrad Hoffsommer
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:25 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Temp and Pitch

At 22:45 3/30/2005, you wrote:
>Gretings,
>
>           When your tuning fork is 98.6 from keeing it in your pocket, is
> it higher or lower in pitch than if you had kept it in the car on a
> winter night, overnight?
>Is a piano higher or lower in pitch when it is cooler? I was told the
>answers for these questions, but I cannot remember.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Julia
>Reading, PA

Julia,

The metal of the pitchfork expands with higher temperature. (within range
of temp we're discussing)
An expanded fork is longer.
A longer fork is flatter.

i.e. - for a fork, pitch varies inversely with temperature.

If you leave a piano in the car overnight, you need a large car.

Since all pianos are not equal, different materials in plate/strings/case
and throw in a time factor - it's hard to anticipate.  Plate/case shrinking
would tend (eventually) to slacken (flatten) strings, while shrinking
strings would (initially) tend to go sharp.  Ya pays yore money an takes
yore cherce. ;-}

Conrad Hoffsommer
then used against you.