Boulez piano concert

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 23:54:23 +0200

Hi Richard.

Pierre Boulez was born on 26 March 1925 in Montbrison (south of France).  He
studied composition in Olivier Messiaen's class (in Paris) and serial
techniques with René Leibowitz.  He is a busy and well appreciated
conductor.  Since 1976 and up to 1991, he is director of the Institut de
Recherche et Coordination Acoustique/Musique (IRCAM) (funny : as such, he
long benefitted himself alone of approximately half the whole budget of
France nation for music).  In his first compositions, the two sonatas for
piano (1946 and 1948), Boulez resumes the serial language of Shoenberg,
Messiaen and Webern.  With the first book of Structures for two pianos
(1951 - 1952), he creates the "total" serialism, in which not only pitches
but all aspects of music (loudness, duration, attack, timbre, etc.) obey to
the serie.  In his third sonata for piano, Boulez lets the hazard interfere
in his music, like John Cage, but within strict limits.  Same in the second
book of Structures (1956 - 1961), where the interprets have sometimes some
freedom.  This shows the influence of the late 19th century symbolic poet
Stéphane Mallarmé on Boulez (Mallarmé did apply hazard and freedom of the
reader to poetry).  Boulez has produced a great number of theoretical essays
whose radical thoughts made him one of the central figures of the European
avant-garde.

More if wanted.

Regards

Stéphane Collin.