Boulez piano concert

timothy ehlen tehlen@uiuc.edu
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:46:07 -0600

Ric,

Although I don't play these works, as a pianist, I'm
familiar with the basic reputation of these works, and of
Boulez.  Many pianists find his music overly intellectual
and maybe lacking in warmth, but for people who really know
and like his music, such as one of my colleagues at the U of
Illinois, these are interesting and successful works in all
ways, especially in regard to their organization and logic.
The pieces are highly serialized and organized with regard
to various parameters of pitch (12-tone method), and also
dynamics, register, duration, etc.  Structures II is a 2
piano piece, if I remember correctly, and is much feared by
pianists for the above reasons!  I have heard of excellent
performances (and possibly there are recordings also) by
Maurizio Pollini of the solo sonatas.  I hope this help a
little.

Tim Ehlen

Assist. Prof of Piano
Univ of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign