Piano Bench Height

FRANCES HELMS fhelms@topeka.k12.ks.us
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:18:56 -0600

Well, pianists aren't reaching up inside the piano or leaning over the
top.  They usually sit back quite a bit farther that a tuner.  Their
feet are just on the pedals, with the heels anchored on the floor.
There's no reason for them to have their legs under the piano.  If they
did, they'd be too close to play comfortably.
Fran Helms,
Piano technician,
Topeka, KS

>>> "Terry" <terry@farrellpiano.com> 03/30/05 6:34 AM >>>
I service a couple dozen grand pianos at frequent intervals that are
played by professional pianist - Piano Bar-type settings. Each time I
service the pianos (every two weeks), the adjustable benches are cranked
all the way to the maximum height position (the top of the seat is maybe
an inch below the bottom of the keybed). I crank the seat all the way
down so my legs fit under the keybed so I can tune the darn thing - then
two weeks later, the benches are always all the way up again.

Why does a piano player do this? Where do they put their legs? Maybe
the players are really small people who sit Indian-style - but then how
do they use the pedals?

What gives?

Terry Farrell