Piano Bench Height

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:10:48 -0600

Terry:

=20

Power! As others have said.  I have some artist benches here that I have
modified with 2" blocks of wood to raise them even higher than they
normally go, and 2 for which I bought Jansen's 2" longer legs.  I you
are sitting back far enough even a person with long legs can get them
under the keyboard because of the angle.  Personally I always want my
elbows to be higher than the keyboard.  My question has always been how
on earth did Glen Gould play sitting so low?

=20

dave

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Terry
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 6:35 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Piano Bench Height

=20

I service a couple dozen grand pianos at frequent intervals that are
played by professional pianist - Piano Bar-type settings. Each time I
service the pianos (every two weeks), the adjustable benches are cranked
all the way to the maximum height position (the top of the seat is maybe
an inch below the bottom of the keybed). I crank the seat all the way
down so my legs fit under the keybed so I can tune the darn thing - then
two weeks later, the benches are always all the way up again.

=20

Why does a piano player do this? Where do they put their legs? Maybe the
players are really small people who sit Indian-style - but then how do
they use the pedals?

=20

What gives?

=20