Leather Key Bushings

Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:43:53 +0100

Gotta agree with Terry here.  Leather holds up much better to be sure.
Actually, if one has reasonably well polished guide pins, and work some
teflon powder into the leather bushings... they are pretty darn slik as
well.

Remindes me... the C. Close square I just got finished with didnt have
any bushings at all. The wood was just sized to a very close fit so that
no real side ways movement was noticelbe... so no chance of clacking.
With polished pins the keys traveled suprisingly slick and quite.
Worked quite well really. Made me wonder if a hard durable bushing made
to a very close fit might actually be a workable idea for modern
pianos.  Just a thought.

Cheers
RicB

/Because I service several pianos that are played by Bone-Crusher Gould. Felt
bushings last only several months before keys start banging into their
neighbors.   :-(    These players are brutal. The pianos are in Piano Bars
on cruise ships.

I think maybe they get drunk and dance on the keyboard.

Terry Farrell/