pianos for schools

pbmosley mosley@classicnet.net
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 17:31:28 -0600

I have been tuning for a fairly large school district for 20 years and =
doing a lot of small university work.  When I started 25 years ago the =
Yamaha's were kind of the hot thing, and still are really, so we worked =
to try to be able to buy the Yamahas without bidding or working around =
the bid process to get what we wanted.  I had a call today from the =
district about buying Conover-Cable pianos, I am doing some dealer work =
there and the pianos are doing fine.  We have some in other districts, =
and the pitch stays very stable, the actions seem consistent.  What I =
have found with Samick products is that the bass is tubbier, the treble =
brighter, but stability is very good.  Is there a time where some tone =
quality should be given for stability.  I normally see 35-40c pitch =
swings seasonally.  School budgets do not allow for the tunings these =
need.  I figure no matter when I tune them they are out of tune at least =
half of the time.  Tune in August they are horrible by Christmas, tune =
in January, they bite the dust in April.  Just wondering what everyone =
was recommending and why, stability, cost, tone, or the dealer's your =
uncle?
Phil Mosley