Aha! was flat facts

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:19:48 -0500

Hi William,

I see and understand your point, but the micro-slippage I'm talking about is
NOT with respect to the entire pin at one time.  I'm talking about
microslippages of small fractions of the mating area between the pin and
block that accumulate over time.

Dean, I also understand your point about static vs. dynamic friction, but if
we're only talking about small portions of the entire pin-to-block contact
area, then indeed we can be talking about "microjumps."

Y'all have my curiosity piqued.  I'll try this experiment with a little
Hamilton that has a decent pinblock but isn't very well humidity controlled
and isn't tuned on a very frequent basis.  Perhaps y'all can help me to
establish the experimental parameters?  What minimum and maximum tuning pin
torques??? I'll select a few pins to meet with those parameters and monitor
them.  I'll measure the angle closest to horizontal that I can hang my
tuning hammer from these pins, as measured with an engineer's compass/level.
Or perhaps I'll use some sort of spring-loaded clamp, as the measurements
might be more repeatable.  I won't be able to get to it for a few weeks, but
I think I'll definitely do it.  Sounds interesting.

Weird that this hasn't been done before!!

Peace,
Sarah