front and rear bridge notching

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 09:53:16 -0500

MessageIs someone suggesting that "rear notching helps ensure the string =
touches the speaking notch (front notch) of the bridge before it makes =
contact with the hitch pin side (rear notch)"? That makes no sense to =
me. I do not believe that a rear notch would have any effect on the =
performance characteristics of the front notch.=20

You are correct to say that "If it touches the rear first it will ride =
off the front  notch and up the bridge pin and most likely be =
detrimental to tone" - or at least the geometry will be there for that =
tendency - the front bridge pin will tent to keep it in place - but =
yeah, you are right that you don't want that arrangement.

But what has that to do with rear notching?

Happy to send you photos. What is it you are looking for and where to =
send?

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Moody=20
  To: 'Pianotech'=20
  Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 1:21 AM
  Subject: front and rear bridge notching

  Any comments on "rear notching helps ensure the string touches the =
speaking notch (front notch) of the bridge before it makes contact with =
the hitch pin side (rear notch)"  If it touches the rear first it will =
ride off the front  notch and up the bridge pin and most likely be =
detrimental to tone."=20

  More photos of this piano would be welcome esp on pnotecEdlsit.=20

  -ric      www.pnotec.com/edlist.html