Jumpy Tuning Pins

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 06:51:59 -0800

CA glue.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Terry
  Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2005 5:09 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Jumpy Tuning Pins

  I tuned a 1920s-type Hardman small grand today. Who knows what has been
done to the pinblock on this POS, but every single tuning pin up to the
mid-treble are horribly jumpy - I mean the finest increment to change pitch
is ten to 20 cents - most moves are more like 30 to 50 cents. It is
virtually untunable. I left most unisons beating maybe an average a good 1
bps. I've never encountered a piano like this. Is there any easy thing to do
to make it smoother - even moderately tunable? The piano is a bit of a heap
and is not worth dumping much money into.....

  And yes, we talked about replacement.   ;-)

  Terry Farrell