Baldwin Info

Avery Todd avery1@houston.rr.com
Sun, 27 Mar 2005 13:40:09 -0600

List,

Another question about the Baldwin I worked on Saturday.

I have a question about the serial number. The plate has been redone
sometime in the
past but the serial number was not replaced. I found the number 6090 on the
cheek
blocks & key slip. Would I be correct in assuming this is the serial
number? If so,
the Atlas lists that as being built between 1895 & 1900. That seems a
little old
for this instrument.

It's app. 5'+ long (I didn't have a tape measure with me), has a 20 note
bass with 7
notes (F2-B2 in the tenor) also having bass strings. It's obviously been
restrung more
than once (it has 6/0 tuning pins!).

Except for the 20 note bass on a small piano (Baldwin doesn't, do they?)
the only other
thing that seemed different was the action rail where the hammer flanges
are screwed on.
It was painted a gold color, with a ledge app. ¾" - 1" wide extending out
from where the
screws are and a factory type, small Baldwin decal on it. I've never seen
an action with
that ledge before. but it was very handy for holding travel paper! :-)

My primary question though, is about the age. The instrument is now in a
Masonic Lodge &
the  lady who originally owned the piano told my customer (who plays there)
that she had
bought it new in the 1960's. Just because of the action frame design alone,
I seriously, seriously doubt that it was new then!

Can anyone confirm about the serial number location(s)? Thanks.

Avery