Always Something New!

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:05:11 -0600

How is tuning those 6's? Seems like they'd be high torque and make fine
treble adjustments difficult.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Avery Todd
Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:51 PM
To: pianotech
Subject: Always Something New!

List,

I thought after almost 30 yrs., I'd seen just about everything. :-)

Today, I was working on an old Baldwin grand (# 6030, I think) and
discovered it had 6/0 pins! I knew they were out there, but I've never used
them and wouldn't even consider it, actually! It also sounded like it had
concrete hammers and the lady who had to play on it, just hated it! I
couldn't imagine why! :-)

Whoever "worked" on this piano however many years ago, didn't have a clue
about hammer traveling! They were going every which way! One particularly
bad one I took off the rail and there was a fairly thick sandpaper shim
under the
flange.
When I took it off and reinstalled the hammer, it was really crooked!
Obviously,
he'd tried to straighten up a badly glued hammer by shimming. No matter what
it did to the traveling. No hammer I took off had any traveling paper there
except for the above problem! I think I spent almost 3 hrs. straightening
out all
that
mess! Amazing! :-(

Sorry. Just venting a little. But at least, after finishing with it, she
seemed
to love it! But what a way to spend an Easter Saturday! Oh well, I can pay
another bill or two now! :-)

Avery