Flat Facts

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:05:46 +0100

On 26-mrt-05, at 18:49, Alan wrote:

> This question is so basic and naive, I fear the wrath of the list so I=20=

> will ask it annonymously ...
> =A0
> Customer asked: "I understand that humidity change is the principle=20
> cause for going out of tune, but if it gets flat than sharp, etc., why=20=

> is the long term trend always flat?  In other words, if it's a fact=20
> that the tuning pins are slowly turning counterclockwise with playing=20=

> and weather, why can't you just lock them in place, somehow,=A0so the=20=

> piano stays close to pitch all the time?"
> =A0
> I stood there staring stupidly and could not conjur a=20
> sensible-sounding=A0answer.
> =A0
> What would YOU say?
> =A0
> Mystery Writer
> Salem, MO

I would tell that customer that the strings are like tight elastics.
If there is one thing a tight elastic wants, it is to get rid of its=20
tightness, its tension.
This happens slowly over time.
If you prepare a piano for the north pole, i.e. you tune it a couple of=20=

times very professionally and nobody will play it, it will probably be=20=

locked in an eternal cold dryness and the wood will not move after some=20=

time because all wooden parts will have settled to the extremely low=20
humidity.
You then do a last tuning and you step in your kayak, your dog sled or=20=

your coffin.
The tuning will go down slowly over time. Maybe after a hundred years=20
it will be completely flat to zero tension?
who knows...........

my euro cent

friendly greetings
from