DAG vs. 1708

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:07:09 -0600

> Sheesh,
>
> That's a new one on me.  I guess that just shows ta go ya, that just because
> everyone does it, doesn't mean it's good, right, or necessary.  A good
> reminder.

Too true. There are likely very good reasons for the way we do
things, if we could just figure out what they are.

> Soooo, Ron, do you use any dressing to make your notching easier?  I suppose
> not. now that you're automated, eh?  How finely would you routinely sand the
> bridge top?
>
> Respectfully,
> William R. Monroe

I used to use Dag, but got tired of tracking it all over the bridge
with my fingers through the notching process. Black liquid shoe
polish fixed that problem, but not putting on anything saved a step
and looked nice (I thought, but then I prefer blued tuning pins too,
so what do I know about aesthetics). I have to take my glasses off
and notch with my nose (nearly) on the bridge anyway, so I could see
where I was without the black. The machine now lets me stand back
and make storms of chips quickly. I like it best.

A quick block sanding pass with 150 grit after notching works for me.