Shimming Soundboards

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:21:13 -0600

Greg,

Not sure I understand.  Aren't all shims new and all boards that they would
go in old?  This would seem to imply that you are averse to shimming, no?
What is the concern?  Is there something about rates of
expansion/contraction due to moisture that differs from more recently
harvested wood?  If there is a concern in this regard, do we know if it is
substantiated in any way?  I'm not trying to be condescending here, only
very curious about the use of shims, whether they are useful or not, in any
degree of soundboard repair; or should we just stick to epoxy?

Respectfully,
William R. Monroe