Under lever gram resistance

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:55:38 -0800

What's the difference whether the effective weight of the underlever is
due to lead weights or spring tension?  Since the underlevers come with
a preset lead pattern, why would you bother to take the measurements
separately.  My method in the past has simply been to go through with a
gram gauge and weigh each underlever choosing some common point in the
travel.  I like Jon Page's idea of using a digital scale, though, as the
gram gauges are awkward to use and need to be read from the side which
means either leaning over to get level with it, craning one's neck.  I
suppose I could sit where my eye level is even with the gauge.  anyway.
I would be curious as to what the minimum is as I prefer that the
sensation of lifting the damper is as invisible as possible.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 8:28 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Under lever gram resistance

David said: "  I
take these measurements with a gram gauge with the back action on the
bench so that I can adjust the spring tension.  The question remains, at
what point in the travel is the best place to take the reading."

David,
You're mixing "resistance" with "mass". IMO, each should be measured
separately before measuring together. I do understand what you are
trying to accomplish and I agree with your reason(s). I should think
that a careful measurement in relation to the mounting of the back
action and the lever movement will give you the perameter for deciding
the "area of arc movement", (for lack of a better term). I don't recall
seeing any specs/stats on this sort of measurement, although there more
than likely is a list somewhere.<G>
As for how much it takes to shut down a note...that depends and so many
variables, such as mass, density of felt, etc.
I'd be interested in your findings, once you solve the initial
question(s) at hand.<G>
Best Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police