Stickers inside pianos

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:12:16 -0800

Your welcome Mark, by the way I think it's a good idea not to=
 plaster the record sheet with your name...iow..."SERVICED BY=
 ACME PIANO SERVICE"  "TUNER TO THE STARS"...that just assures=
 the next tech (there will be a next tech at some point) to toss=
 it...I keep a business card with it which hopefully will be=
 tossed instead...

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: Mark Potter
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Stickers inside pianos

While I consider having a database at home mandatory, I agree=
 with Ron that having a modicum amount of info at the piano can=
 be significantly helpful, particularly in cases where you are=
 servicing the piano for the first time.  David I's suggestion of=
 the pouch (uprights) by far makes the most sense to me in that=
 a) it is easily seen by the tech; b) allows for numerous=
 detailed postings in one unobtrusive location; and c) gives a=
 'history-at-a-glance'.  A few older uprights even have a handy=
 wooden 'pouch' as original equipment - unusually accommodating! =
 Of course this requires we approach pianos armed with pouches,=
 which hasn't happened in MY lifetime, so it remains a good idea=
 waiting to be implemented.  Another round tuit patiently=
 waiting.  Until then I continue to use the business card method=
 - it's too easy.

Thanks for the tip about the 31/2" floppy containers, David.  I'm=
 gonna check 'em out.... one of these days....

Mark Potter

Ron Nossaman <rnossaman@cox.net> wrote:
> Well, if you have to use a sticker... don't they custom print=
 stickers
> with that Post-It note adhesive?

I don't know. I never looked into it. The PTG, however, does=
 print
pressure sensitive stickers, or something as crude as printer=
 labels
or masking tape will serve quite adequately to stick the=
 information
to the piano in an out of sight location. Whatever. It's not for=

anyone but the tech, and I want it to stay there dependably.

> Personally, I like the magnetic card idea the best. All pianos=
 have
> iron in them! ;-)

And how do you record information on the magnetic card? It's the=

tuning and climate information that's the important part for the=

stealth sticker. Not the name of the tuner. Again, this isn't for=

advertising. It's a tuning record.

> I can see the usefulness of leaving beh! ind notes, but=
 wouldn't it be
> better to keep a database with customer records? When Mrs.=
 Peabody
> calls you regarding a problem with her piano that you serviced=
 last
> month, wouldn't you rather have her records on your computer,=
 rather
> than inside her piano???

Not in my opinion. I'd prefer to have the data with the piano, on=

site, without wasting time unnecessarily looking it up in a=
 database
beforehand that has probably evaporated in the last operating=
 system
crash. By all means, keep whatever records you like at home, but=
appreciate (and supply) the tuning and climate history right=
 there
in the piano. I expect it's just me (as usual), but I'd prefer to=
 be
anal about something interesting, rather than this sort of thing.=
few seconds of data entry on a record that stays with the piano=
 will
be potentially valuable information for anyone who is at some=
 future
point in the presence of the piano and tr! ying to make sense of=
 some
tuning or regulation anomaly. I consider keeping the tuning=
 record
in a private database more a case of the dog marking territory=
 than
keeping it in the piano where it can do whoever might wander by=
 and
benefit from it some good.

> Again, just my thoughts...

And again, just mine...