Under lever gram resistance

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:00:21 -0800

David,

At 09:02 PM 3/24/2005, you wrote:
>Actually, I'm talking about a new Renner underlever system.  The gram
>levels start out around 25 grams at note 1 and graduate downward.  I take
>these measurements with a gram gauge with the back action on the bench so
>that I can adjust the spring tension.  The question remains, at what point
>in the travel is the best place to take the reading.

Since the spring rate will change through travel from rest through stopping
(either with the upstop rail or the end of the key movement), perhaps
taking readings at several points through the travel of the underlever and
then using an average would accomplish what you seem to be seeking.

>   Ideally, I want only enough tension to get decent shut off but not so
> much that there is a noticeable difference between playing the piano with
> the damper pedal engaged versus not engaged.  I don't like to notice that
> I am lifting the damper with my finger too much.

Correct.

>  The next question is what is the minimum resistance that will still
> produce decent shut off. I suppose it depends on the size of the piano
> and the string mass, so for arguments sake let's say your normal 6 foot
> Steinway.

There are at least a couple of other factors at work here.  The two that
first come to mind is the length and spacing of the damper felt, which is
often (especially since the mid-60's) poorly done in production and often
simply copied later.  Wally used to teach a class in which this was
discussed in detail.  I am presently out of town, and do not have access to
those notes.  Perhaps someone else does.

Best.

Horace