Steinway with reverse crown

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 24 Mar 2005 20:39:43 -0500

MessageOkay. I agree. I'm not sure I understand the issue you seem to be =
trying to raise.

Some belly designs incorporate soundboards that have a relatively small =
amount of crown. By the time you string it up with some downbearing, =
many of them will exhibit little if any crown at tension - that is no =
problem, within the constraints of that design type. That is why you =
always want to look at downbearing and crown to evaluate whether a =
soundboard is functioning as well as the design will permit.

I wouldn't feel comfortable building a board like that, but many do.

But a board with a quarter-inch negative crown and tons to downbearing =
is a no-go in my mind.

Terry Farrell
  At the California Conference, I attended a grand piano maintenance =
class sponsored and run by Steinway techs. I was surprised when they =
made a specific point of telling us that a piano under tension does not =
have to exhibit any crown, yet still sound and work just fine.=20

  This wasn't in response to any questions, it was a topic on their =
agenda!

  They also said that it might explain why some pianos are so reactive =
to seasonal changes while others, e.g. Acrosonic, tend to be more =
stable.

  Hmmmm ....

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO