Voicing old Yamaha hammers

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 21:47:45 -0600

Cy,

I would probably try starting with needles - if you can get them in without
too much trouble.  If not, consider steam at the beginning to open things up
a bit, then go to needles.  My experience with steam is that it can be very
effective initially, but the longevity of the result is not great - unless
of course you really lay on the steam and make cotton balls out of those
things.

Respectfully,
William R. Monroe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cy Shuster" <741662027@theshusters.org>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:36 PM
Subject: Voicing old Yamaha hammers

Had a new customer today with a 1974 Yamaha C3 that does a perfect banjo
imitation.  String cuts in the hammers aren't too bad.  I don't have much
experience in voicing, but it seems that this is a good place to start; in
the worst case, I hang new hammers and everyone's happy.

I'll begin with reshaping the hammers and leveling the strings, and see how
far that takes me.  Would steam be a next step, or go right for the needles?
Any specific suggestions for these hammers?

Thanks as always,

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV