Stickers inside pianos

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:29:39 -0500

Amen Sarah. Before I got into this business I had just bought a brand new
1098. I used to open it up and admire the beautiful insides - kinda like
admiring the chrome on a Ferrari engine. The tuner came for our one free
tuning and when done ALMOST attached his PTG sticker to the pinblock. I
almost broke his arm stopping him - not really, but I was definitely fuming.

My recommendation, if you want to use a sticker, is to at least ask before
applying.

Unless, of course, it is a 1948 Story & Clark spinet or some-such.

Terry Farrell

> Personally, I get a bit ticked when I see a tuner's adhesive sticker
> plastered on/in a piano.  Stickers are fine for furnaces and garbage
> disposals, but we're talking about a piano.  Stickers are tacky and are
less
> than respectful to the piano (and the owner), IMO.  Of course that's not
as
> bad as tuners who scribble on nonreplaceable parts!  (Piano graffiti.)
IMO,
> if you repair/replace it, you're entitled to leave your mark on it.  If
all
> you do is turn pins, permanently branding the piano is bad form.  It's a
bit
> like a dog marking a tree.
>
> I respet the tuners who leave business cards under the lids of uprights.
It