Stickers inside pianos

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:55:19 -0500

Hi Doug,

Personally, I get a bit ticked when I see a tuner's adhesive sticker
plastered on/in a piano.  Stickers are fine for furnaces and garbage
disposals, but we're talking about a piano.  Stickers are tacky and are less
than respectful to the piano (and the owner), IMO.  Of course that's not as
bad as tuners who scribble on nonreplaceable parts!  (Piano graffiti.)  IMO,
if you repair/replace it, you're entitled to leave your mark on it.  If all
you do is turn pins, permanently branding the piano is bad form.  It's a bit
like a dog marking a tree.

I respet the tuners who leave business cards under the lids of uprights.  It
shows respect for the pianos and their owners.  But of course those cards
might wander.  Perhaps a neater, more functional approach would be to use
some adhesive photograph corners -- the ones used in photo albums and
sometimes for archival framing.  They're not expensive.  Stick the four
corners very neatly in place atop the framing, underneath the lid, and then
insert a business card.  When you return, you can just insert a new business
card with fresh date info, etc.  If/when the owner decides to move and/or
get a different tuner/tech, you will have at least given that person the
respect of providing him/her a less tacky means for the NEXT tuner/tech to
leave his/her info behind.  The owner can insist that the new tuner/tech
insert a business card, instead of plastering the piano with yet another
offensive sticker.

Doing this would tell the piano owner you truly care about the piano AND
that you truly care about the presentation of your business.  It's similar
to the Japanese custom of presenting business cards in an open palm,
correctly oriented towards the recipient, rather than flinging the card
haphazardly at the person.

Just my opinion...

Peace,
Sarah