Internet Email Scam

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 06:08:36 -0600

At 05:57 3/20/2005, you wrote:
>I have heard about internet scams where you offer something for sale and
>someone responds but they want to issue you a check for the asking amount
>plus a few thousand extra and want you to send them the item plus the
>extra cash.
>
>This just happened to me. No, I didn't send him anything, but he wants to
>buy something from me for five times the asking price. Does anyone know of
>any entity to report something like this to?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell

I'm not sure to whom this might be reported, but the scam works something
like this...

You get this "cashier's" check (from somewhere overseas) for the inflated
purchase price, at which time you naturally send the items and the
"refund".  The check turns out to be bogus so you are stuck for the entire
amount by your bank, plus the amount "refunded" _plus_ the item...    not nice.

If you could figure out exactly who and where the sender might be, that
would be a start, but I doubt that you'd be able to.

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.