the burden of our profession

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 20 Mar 2005 03:18:47 +0100

On 20-mrt-05, at 1:38, Bob Hull wrote:

> Here's one more piece of info: The new wippen (the one
> that you can add a heel) is 9.95 cm from center pin to
> center pin and the old wippen was 9.8 cm.  This makes
> a difference I'm sure. Is it further indication of
> need to change the spread?
>
> --- Bob Hull <hullfam5@yahoo.com> wrote:

There is always the so called economical/commercial question : will the
customer pay for all this?
I personally think it is like this:
There are circumstances where we take on a repair without really
knowing what is awaiting us. Sometimes we think we know everything and
at the same time we are humiliated by the fact that we have to, again,
encounter the umpteenth problem we had not yet resolved in the past.
It always costs money because of course we try to "make it better" what
ever the cost etc.
That's the burden of our profession.
Some techs just leave it at that and make a living anyway.
Other tech bend their backs over the problems and try to make the very
best of it.
In practice (I am speaking for myself) the latter is the best because
at least you have tried and did whatever you could.
The acquired knowledge is to your benefit and to the benefit of future
clients... in other words, technicians who want to improve their skills
automatically
by taking the bull by the horns, while others go for the easy buck and
the not-so-nice-reputation.

In your case, it depends on how the instruments plays and sounds.
If YOU are unhappy with the result, then you know what to do.
The question remains : will your customer pay for the extra work?

friendly greetings
from
André Oorebeek

www.concertpianoservice.nl