Ivory Polishing and Replacement

David Vanderhoofven david@vanderpiano.com
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:09:56 -0600

Greetings!

Today I finished repairing an ivory keyboard for a customer.  I can't do
expert work yet, but am improving.  Still working on color matching and
getting an invisible joint between the head and tail pieces.

After replacing the 5 ivory pieces, the ivories were polished to a high
gloss.  The process involved removing all the white keys, and then sanding,
polishing and buffing.  A piece of glass under the sand paper helps for a
perfectly smooth surface.  First each key was wet sanded with 400 grit
wet/dry automotive sandpaper, then wet sanded with 600 grit, then wet
sanded with 1000 grit, then polished on a hard polishing wheel (spiral sewn
cotton), then buffed on a soft buffing wheel (unsewn cotton flannel).

Big thanks to Kevin Way for helping me with the use of his shop and help
with the sanding and buffing.

David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...