Increasing Crown

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 18:40:25 +1000

Hello David V,

Sorry about that lack of explanation. The packing height is the
adjustment of the string support strips in front of the hitch pins.
When the original bridges are being retained, much adding of material
and grinding away of height is required to arrive at a uniform down
bearing setting throughout the instrument.

The same procedure applies when fitting new sound boards/bridges. In
this case, we set the bridge height in combination with a nominal
height string support strip, then build the bridges (including
drilling and notching) and fit them before fitting the sound board to
the case. The string supports are then adjusted before stringing to
fine tune the downbearing settings. This is probably standard
procedure for lots of folks.

Ron O.