That's mice

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:39:21 -0500

Hi Phil,

> I wonder if that soft flexible fiberglass screening in the back and
> perhaps underneath the piano would hinder or dampen the piano sound if
> that might be a problem with the owner? Anyone got an opinion?

I a very old Knabe with somewhat coarse window screen (made out of steel?)
framed over the back.  It doesn't dampen the sound, nor would any screen
wire of more modern sizing.  It also doesn't rattle or buzz, FAIW.  A more
modern solution might be to order a prefabricated aluminum window screen of
the correct size from a glass company (?).  For industrial strength mice,
try bronzed steel screening.  Then mount the screen in place with a few
spacers (felt) to prevent buzzing.

Another solution might be to close up the holes.  We're talking about the
bolt holes in the SB, right? (Can mice wiggle through those?)  It might be
possible to form some epoxy putty around the bolts to close the gaps to
something a mouse couldn't traverse.  Then sprinkle cayenne pepper liberally
around the pedal holes.  I don't think a mouse could get over the top of the
kick panel in a contemporary styled piano, but if there's any textured
surface the animal could scale, then all bets are off.  A mouse should be
able to jump a foot or more vertically without breaking a sweat.  Very
athletic little animals.  Just think like a mouse, and you'll quickly figure
out where they can and can't go.

As Elwood suggests, a mouse could chew right through the fiberglass
screening (but it could also go through steel wool if adequately motivated).
A funny memory comes to mind.  A kid at summer camp trapped a very
frightened little mouse in a plastic tub.  About that time, we all had to go
somewhere, so he put his tennis racket over the tub to keep the mouse from
getting out.  You can guess the rest!  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah
www.graphic-fusion.com

... also a connoisseur of tasty animals, preferably BBQ'ed ;-)