Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B FIXED

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:26:02 -0600

> *Believe me, I was really surprised that it was the recommended fix, by
> Steinway.*
> *Kent says that he goes over all the friction points with cork
> grease, when he does his regular routines.*

As I said, I've used VJ when I found the squeaking glide bolt, and
it has so far worked fine.

> *I was thinking if the glide bolt was the problem, why they wouldn't
> they buff and polish them, before installation.*

Because it's not the surface finish that's the problem. It's the
thread support in the key frame not being firm enough close enough
to the head of the bolt that lets the bolt chatter when it moves. It
flagpoles. I haven't tried soaking CA into the threads, but I
suspect it might work as well.

> *I have never, since 1975 seen this as a source of a squeak.*
> *Mind you the percentage of grands I work on is miniscule, compared with
> almost everyone else, especially the guys, who just work on grands.*
> *Anyway, I am hoping for the best.*
> John M. Ross

It seems to be a long term fix. At least I don't recall it ever
coming back, but I've only run into it a few times.