That's mice

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 02:36:04 -0800 (PST)

I heard years ago about a successful attempt at keeping mice out by wadding loosely balled steel wool underneath the pedals, a likely place of entry for the critters.  Have never tried this myself.  I would certainly consider adding screen material at other openings that may be present at the bottom board.

I've only found mice in pianos that are seldom played.  It may be worth trying to get the customer to have the piano make noise more frequently, even if just for 5 seconds while passing by.  Loud crashing sounds a dozen times a day may be as good a deterrent as any.

Unless the mice love piano music...

Mark Potter

David Nereson <dnereson@4dv.net> wrote:
Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>
> I had a job a couple of weeks ago replacing bridle tapes in a 15 year
> old Kawai upright. The old ones had been used as nest material by a
> family of mice. About half of them were completely gone, and others
> partially gnawed. I went back yesterday to tune the piano.
>
> The people had said that they'd found the mice and removed them, but
> guess who'd come back, munching once again on the tapes...
>
> Nice, nice lady... but hygiene is not her forte, I fear. Her bird's
> food is also the nourishment for aforementioned rodents. She loves
> animals and doesn't want to poison the mice. I suggested a "humane"
> exterminator.
>
> Has anyone ever used any kind of screening inside an upright to to
> keep mice out? I suspect that no matter what the people do--unless
> they do a drastic cleanup, which seems kind of unlikely--the mice will
> continue to come back. Next time, I'll wear a mask! After hearing
> about Hantavirus on this list, I'm a little worried about this sort of
> thing.
>
> Dave Stahl

I have found in old pianos little piles of tobacco, like pipe
tobacco, on either side of the keybed, or underneath the keys. I don't
know if this was to repel mice or moths. Don't know if it works,
either. Anyone?
Yes, hantavirus is a scary threat. I'm reluctant to even breathe
around pianos infested with mice.
--David Nereson, RPT