That's mice

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:47:46 -0700

Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>
> I had a job a couple of weeks ago replacing bridle tapes in a 15 year
> old Kawai upright.  The old ones had been used as nest material by a
> family of mice.  About half of them were completely gone, and others
> partially gnawed.  I went back yesterday to tune the piano.
>
> The people had said that they'd found the mice and removed them, but
> guess who'd come back, munching once again on the tapes...
>
> Nice, nice lady... but hygiene is not her forte, I fear.  Her bird's
> food is also the nourishment for aforementioned rodents.  She loves
> animals and doesn't want to poison the mice.  I suggested a "humane"
> exterminator.
>
> Has anyone ever used any kind of screening inside an upright to to
> keep mice out?  I suspect that no matter what the people do--unless
> they do a drastic cleanup, which seems kind of unlikely--the mice will
> continue to come back.  Next time, I'll wear a mask!  After hearing
> about Hantavirus on this list, I'm a little worried about this sort of
> thing.
>
> Dave Stahl

    I have found in old pianos little piles of tobacco, like pipe
tobacco, on either side of the keybed, or underneath the keys.  I don't
know if this was to repel mice or moths.   Don't know if it works,
either.  Anyone?
    Yes, hantavirus is a scary threat.  I'm reluctant to even breathe
around pianos infested with mice.
     --David Nereson, RPT