Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 15 Mar 2005 02:35:58 -0400

I thought that had corrected the problem.
They just told me yesterday, that they couldn't use the unacorda during the performance.
Embarrassing or what.
I swear, when I left the building, there was no squeak, but there was no one there to show. So it is possible they don't believe me.
When I turned the right side glide bolt up by 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn, the squeak did disappear. It also disappeared for one push of the pedal, when I put some Teflon on the contact point.
I think Roger's suggestion, of the action being too tight at the dags, fits the bill.
Mind you, I don't know if they would let me try, after my first failure.
I did tell them, that since I didn't get it fixed, I didn't feel I should charge.
I asked them for the serial number, so I can contact, Webb, so we shall see if I get a reply to my e-mail.
Oh did I say, that by lifting very slightly, on the left side of the action, the squeak disappeared, and that is what led me to the glide bolt?
It didn't seem loose when I turned it, it wasn't tight either, I used a 4" crescent.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Skolnik
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Monday, March 14, 2005 11:23 PM
  Subject: Re: Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

  John-
  I have experienced what you describe.  I have often found the offending glide bolts to be somewhat loose... sometimes enough so to allow being turned by hand, but any movement at all can translate into squeak, though I don't know why. Even if not that loose, you can feel the friction by holding  the glide stem lightly, as you shift the action. I try to correct any loose glides by glue sizing.  I'm wondering though...if what you did corrected the problem, why isn't that the solution?  Am I misunderstanding something?

  David Skolnik