Increasing Crown

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:14:39 -0600

> Remember in the "good old days" when we used to wedge up the soundboard from below along the bridge.   Then cover the piano with blankets, stick in some shop lights and let bake for a few days.   Then we'd shim all the cracks, let dry then remove the wedges and supposedly we would have some more crown.    The theory being the wedges did push the soundboard up and the shims would help hold it there...this was some 30 years ago when I was apprenticing...
>
> David Ilvedson

That's what we were all taught back then, and for the length of time
the piano was in the shop, it seemed to work. A year later, however,
the piano often sounded as bad as it did when it came into the shop,
and a quick check with a string showed that the magic combination of
our "recrowning" fix and lowering the plate for bearing wasn't all
that good a solution for some of us. Opinions do and always will differ.

Ron N