Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:30:07 -0800

John,

When you have a chance to pull the keyframe, look to see if the trailing
edge of the unacorda lever is digging into the bottom side of the cutout on
the keyframe.  That is, when at rest the top of the lever is (nominally)
parallel with the keybed (well, OK, it's supposed to be); and, there can be
exceptionally little clearance between it and the underside of the keyframe
cutout.  The problem is that, as the lever pushes the keyframe the treble
end, the bass-side edge of the lever describes an arc which is going to go
slightly above the line of the lever at rest.  The fix is either to radius
off that edge of the lever and/or increase the depth of the cutout.

We saw this a good deal with they were moving from the PR keyframes to the
Kluge ones (the latter, being much more flexible, at least during that time
of production, were much less forgiving of things like this.

Best.

Horace