Question about Beats During Tuning

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:08:45 -0700

Robert,
Earplugs help to focus you on what you want to hear.  The canal caps sold
by Diane Hofsteter (dpno2ur@yahoo.com) are ideal and will protect your
hearing over the long term.  The Music ear plugs sold in you local drug
store are inferior (attenuate unevenly, too much high up) but will do as
you start out.
A Coleman Beat Counter is good to help with the learning.  It will show you
where to listen for a given interval.  Each note, like a beam of light, is
made up of a symphony of partials.  With practice you will begin to use
your ear as a prism to split out the coincident partials you are wanting to
tune or count.   Say, for example, you want to practice tuning a 4:2
octave, and you are tuning C5 to C4, tap C6 and then listen at that
frequency as you play C4 & C5 together.  You will then hear the beat you
are using to tune that specific type of interval.
Typically I don't count thirds and sixths.  I just "feel" when they are
right and that they progressively speed up as I proceed up the middle of
the keyboard.  There are a variety of tests that can help you arrive at
good relationships between intervals.

What course are you taking?

Good luck,
Andrew