Another 'B' problem

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:17:45 -0800

Hi,Avery!
To prevent pedal pivoting pin from "walking-out",attach little plastic wire
holder.Yamaha  does that on their grand traps and I submitted that tip and
it was published in the last,March 2005 Journal.It woyks!
Regarding previous problems with sqeaking una-corda on Steinway B and a
possibility of it coming out of shifting spring.. 2 things I would do:
check-re-tighten all four screws holding that shifting spring,even
installing key balance rail punchings on all four of them wouldn't   be a
bad idea.Second: all those shifting springs after leaving factories and
rebuilding-refinishing shops need to be taken out and buffed in the shop on
3M LIGHT DEBURRING WHEEL,available from industrial suppliers and some
abrasive and woodworking supply catalogs.The price of about $50 US worth
every penny..Also, all trap springs and pins need that treatment.It's
magical,after that buffing all those parts don't need any additional
lubrication.As far as we all know,Grease-Lubrication in trap system invites
more dust and causes even more sqeaks,right?
Area #3 to check:re-tighten all KEYBED SCREWS to the RIM underneath of the
piano to
make sure those sqeaks are not coming from that area.Had done it!!Now it's
a routine on a first call..
Good Luck! See you in Kansas City! Isaac
.