Squeak in unacorda of S & S, B

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:33:49 -0400

Hi List,
I was wondering if any of you have run/ran into this problem.
It was a S & S model B, less than 6 months old. It is the first time I have seen it, and I got a call yesterday afternoon, wondering if I would have a look at a squeak problem, before a concert this afternoon.
So I went this morning, (extra charge of course).
I thought it would be an easy fix. But, noooooo.
I checked all the obvious places, regraphiting any worn areas, tefloned and MPL'd appropriate spots.
Still there.
Tried pushing shift lever by hand, still there.
Not the spring on the right side, that bears on the action.
Tried moving the action toward me, a smidgen, no squeak.
Couldn't find anything wrong at the dags.
Then I tried lifting the action at the right side just a smidgeon, gone again.
I turned the glide bolt back 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn, most of it gone, but still some at the other end, but very slight, turned left glide bolt up less than 1/8 turn.
Squeak gone.
Not enough time before concert to get into it more fully.
Have any of you ran into this causing a squeak?
Is there a proper fix, that I should go back and do?
Thank you.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca