Increasing Crown

William R. Monroe pianotech@a440piano.net
Sun, 13 Mar 2005 07:42:13 -0600

List,

I am currently working on rebuilding my own little piano to gain some
experience, and have a question about improving the crown, function of the
soundboard.  I had heard of shimming up the SB from underneath, prior to
shimming, or doing anything else on top (Bridge repairs, etc.), in hope that
by doing these repairs while the board was shimmed up, they might act to
improve the crown, even a very little bit.

My question is about flowing epoxy over the surface of the board, as was
discussed here a while back, and I'm wondering what you all think about
having the board wedged up & flowing on epoxy.  My concern is about what may
happen when the wedges are removed - cracked epoxy?!?!?

What say you?

William R. Monroe