Tools to remove old glue.. +MOTH...!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:48:37 EST

Hi Michael,

Hope you got some sleep...dang those little critters!  A fat bunch of  moths,
no doubt!

Keep us posted.

Dave Stahl,
Sunny CA

In a message dated 3/12/05 2:07:29 AM Pacific Standard Time,
michael@gambles.fsnet.co.uk writes:

Hello List
I was asked to tune a piano in an old church  (part Saxon, part Regency and
part Victorian) in Lewes Sussex. This was  Wednesday 9 March. When I looked at
this very venerable Bechstein grand  (No.2824 - figured walnut case) I found
MOTH had got there first. The  reason for tuning was for a piano concerto being
performed there on Saturday.  New composer at the piano. Dilemma! Dare I take
the action out, back to my  workshop, knowing the tremendous liability?
Answer Yes! But Thursday I had  tunings and repairs ready for piano exams at a
school and an old square piano  to tune. Old.. as in 1775 built by Pohlman. Pitch
A=393. But that was young  compared to the house it was in.... 1530. Now
that's OLD. Today I was  committed to tuning seven school pianos. I last tuned them
two years ago...  YUK. So where does the tool fit in? Bechstein action on
bench. Dismantle  hammer rail complete with hammers. Disconnect all those little
stickers  Bechstein used to use between the keys and the levers. Many of the
felt bushes  .. GONE! (this job is getting bigger by the moment... bigger
liability..) Find  the hammer rest pads on the levers are eaten. Even centre
bushings.. eaten.  That regulating button for the jack-top window ... eaten. Then a
moth grub  poked its head out and winked at me. I squashed it. They're hard,
you know,  quite difficult to squash. Remove the lever rail with all the levers
attached  and the little sticker dangling from them. Remove keys and get the
vacuum  going. Where were the balance rail washers? Eaten. Where were the
front rail  thick washers... eaten. The back rail touch felt was but a shadow of
its  former self...Eaten. Been there? So have I. But the action must be  back
and working by 3:00pm tomorrow for rehearsal. Removing the remains of the
touch felt showed the need for something sharp and heavy. So I got a 1 1/2"  cold
chisel. Heavy thing. Sharpened it up very nicely on the belt sander  and that
old felt and glue came off very quickly indeed. Replace all felts and  find
key-touch not deep enough. Dismantle action and try again. Then regulate.  I
have a little (as in 3" long) flat ratchet screw driver for touch  regulating in
these old Bechsteins. Now the action is finished. Regulated on  the bench from
section string heights taken on site and using my home made  bridge. But...
what's that I see... poking its little brown head out of a  hammer?  Quick!
Squash another one.. I really do fear for my  stock of felt....
'Night all
Michael  G.(UK)