Looming Retirement

Avery Todd avery1@houston.rr.com
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:02:58 -0600

List,

Well, everybody, believe it or not, I've reached my FULL retirement age, 65
+ 4 months as of the 12th of March, to start collecting my full Social
Security benefits. The great thing about it is that now, since I waited for
that, I can make as much as I want to without any penalties! That means
that I can keep working full-time, plus any outside work, and I won't have
any deducted from my SS check.

I went in yesterday morning to do the applying thing and found out that I
will get a full March check the 3rd Wed. of April, because I'm eligible as
of the month I reach full retirement age!

I also found out the other day that because the school now has what is
called "the rule of 80", I'm only going to HAVE to work 2 more years to get
my full retirement from the Teacher Retirement plan. Rule of 80 is your age
plus the number of years of service have to add up to 80. I found out today
that they figure it based on your employment date, so I should be able to
retire, if I want to, in 2 yrs. this month. Of course, they figure it on a
certain percentage, based on how many yrs. of service, so the more years I
actually work, the higher that percentage will be.

Just thought I'd share the wonder that I made it this long! :-)

Regards,
Avery