Relay for Dampp-Chaser/ Kenmore dehumidifier interface

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 12:54:47 -0500

Hi Thump,

I saw this thread only today.  (I've been preoccupied with other computer
stuff the past few days.)  If you're not worried about a (very) audible
click when the dehumidifier switches on and off, you can use a "contacter,"
which is basically a heavy-duty relay for air conditioner compressors (which
is what your dehumidifier really is).  Unlike light duty relays, a contacter
uses a bit of inertia to knock the electrical contacts loose.  You will need
a 28V transformer to power it.  You would simply wire the transformer's
primary coil to an electrical plug, which you would plug into the DC.  Wire
the secondary side of the 28V transformer to the coil on the contacter.
Finally, cut a heavy duty extension cord in two, and wire the two ends to
either side of the contacter's switch contacts.  Plug one end of the cord
into the wall outlet, and plug the dehumidifier into the other end.

You can get these parts from an air conditioner (or HVAC) supply company.
You'll probably want the smallest contacter you can find.  You may want to
provide them with a specification for the LRA (locked rotor amps), or the
"start-up amperage."  That will be higher than the running amperage.  (But
if the LRA doesn't exceed 15A, you can probably just use the DC's switch,
without all the other stuff.)

Hope that helps.  :-)

Peace,
Sarah