Brasso bass string problem

davespianotuning@earthlink.net davespianotuning@earthlink.net
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:43:38 -0800

Just a comment about 'MEK'
While MEK is a  powerful useful chemical, it is also a very powerful ' nasty ' chemical.
Use with all due caution for your long term health.........and fire hazard.

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Chick \(Earthlink\)
To: Pianotech
Sent: 3/9/2005 6:18:23 PM
Subject: RE: Brasso bass string problem

Subject: Brasso bass string problem

Dear List,
I have a customer who tried to clean his Haines Grand piano bass strings with Brasso.  I have not seen this piano yet.  He says that the bass strings after application sound very bad and he wants to know what if anything, short of replacing the bass strings can be done. I told him I had not seen this problem before and that I would check with this list to see what ideas any of you might have as a possible solution.

Thanks,
Arthur Chickering

Arthur
No doubt you have received several e-mails advising replacement.  That is the best solution.
For what it’s worth:

I had a customer call me last summer that had a Steinway grand that they “cleaned up” including the bass strings.  Yes, they killed the strings, but they thought there’s nothing to lose if we try to clean them.  They read the label on the brass cleaner and discovered the solvent was petroleum distillate.  So, they spread several layers of plastic under all the strings, then spread several layers of newspaper over the plastic, got a gallon of mineral spirits, a BIG bag of rags, a few vegetable brushes, and scrubbed and wiped the strings until their wiping rags came off clean.  Then took the vacuum cleaner hose, set to discharge and fanned the strings until all traces of mineral spirits were gone.  The result…the former owner of the piano was their guest for dinner and a concert.  She was thrilled to see her piano  “all cleaned up” and sounding so beautiful, especially the rich, clear bass. I don’t think anyone could tell by listening.  The strings were as good as before the cleaning.

A member of our chapter demonstrated how he removed soda spilled on bass strings: apply liberal coat of cleaner that will remove syrup/sugar.   Rinse with hot water.  Blow dry with compressed air or vacuum cleaner discharge.  Wet the string(s) with MEK, and blow dry again.  His success runs in the high 90’s percentile.

I remain a skeptic.

Paul C