The great ones, was screw-stringers

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 19:40:18 -0500

Hendrix was just warming up by 1970. He was just starting to really explore
jazz and blues. No, I have no doubt - he went well before any peak in his
career.

Terry Farrell

> OK, OK. Let me put that quote into context so I don't come off as a total
curmudgeon. When I first heard this quote it was in the mid/late 70's and
was in reference to artists like Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison and several other
rock greats who cashed it in at the peak of their careers. In other words,
while dying was probably not in their plans, they nevertheless did so at
their peaks and before they ran out of stuff to say and just coasted in
their careers repeating themselves. Rock artists are not generally as life
long talented as others, generally peaking on the result of one or two
songs. With not too much effort I bet we could think of many former greats
and one-hit-wonders still living and touring that should have retired years
ago. I had no intention of dissing the likes of Mozart, Chopin or Gershwin.