Reinforcing damper back action flanges glued to damper rail

Brad Smith, RPT staff@smithpiano.com
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 00:14:26 -0500

Hi Ed,
No, I couldn't say it is all fine, long lasting, perfect and durable, but it
is more than functional enough for this customer. I could certainly replace
the back action later if were to fail enough.
Customer is reeling from the current cost of work, so I decided to keep the
back action and refurbish it
as much as time allows, among other priorities.
I figure if we need to do it 5-10 yrs down the road, the cost of
re-regulating dampers will be part of the job anyway.
And, I can do it in the home.

But, believe me, I'm all for replacing it whenever possible financially.

Roger,
Thanks for the note about using hide glue and toothpicks.  Most likely I
would be the guy dealing with it in the future.

Best regards,

Brad Smith, RPT
www.smithpiano.com

Greetings,
Is all the pinning in fine shape, and will it stay that way for another
generation or two?
Are the sostenuto flanges in condition to last as long as the rest of the
new
action?
Are the springs in perfect condition and durable?
Is the job worth replacing the back action as well?
Why leave an old, questionable back action in a piano with everything else
replaced?  (think, weak link)
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT