screw-stringers

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 10:44:10 -0600

> There were several types of screw stringers. Mason & Hamlin had one
> system, then there was the English company Brinsmead and a few others.
> I find the basic idea very good, Perhaps it was too much ahead of its time.
>
> Calin Tantareanu

It is an interesting idea. It's been a long time since I saw one of
these. Aren't the strings individually tied at the hitches? And
aren't they tied with one turn around the hitch, and a 180° bend
around the wire, with the tail sitting on the plate to keep it from
unwinding? If I'm remembering this correctly, that effectively takes
care of the problem of cutting the wire the right length when
stringing. The string would be attached (and mashed) to the screw
stringer first, then looped around the hitch, bent around the wire
to lock the loop, and cut to the appropriate tail length. It
probably went pretty quickly in production.