screw-stringers

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Wed, 09 Mar 2005 04:16:53 -0600

At 03:52 3/9/2005, you wrote:
>Hello Maggie and List
>No, so-called "screw-stringers" weren't that bad. It was a bit of "bicycle
>technology" used in a different application. You could get fine tuning
>with these "stringers" - rather akin to tuning a violin or 'cello using
>the adjusters only. Their biggest problem lay in unorthodoxy. To restring
>one or more of these string terminations is difficult in the extreme. I
>know - I've done it. There's a sort of  cap arrangement over the end of
>the screw which captivates the end of the string. Rather in the same way
>the orthodox kneb is captivated in the wrest-pin hole. Getting it right
>first time is the problem. I dare say with practice it can be done - in
>fact that must be so else they wouldn't exist. Suddenly faced with a
>broken string in one of those I would know what to do but it stops one in
>one's tracks - so to speak - and takes up valuable field worktime.
>Charge  accordingly. Another part of this screw-stringer type of tuning is
>the lack of "feel" which you get with the normal wrest-pin. True, you
>don't have to "set" the pin - you can't.
>All in all I, for one, am glad the "screw-stringer" never "took off".
>Regards
>Michael G.(UK)

>>I've seen "screw-stringers" on an old baby-grand, and was wondering why
>>they were discontinued?  Were they that bad?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Maggie

My theory is that the bean counters killed the screw stringers.  As Michael
says, it's time consuming.  Also, all that hardware is expensive. Lots of
threaded holes through a massive plate. $$££¢¢¢££$$

Soundboard work and refinishing of the case is easier, however.  All one
has to do is let down tension enough to flick strings off the bridge,
remove the plate screws and lift the plate with strings attached out of the
case.   Replace after woodwork is done.  Been there, done that. (I was
working for someone else at the time, so what was done was not my option...)

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.