historical temperaments

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:48:55 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0060_01C523ED.F3EFD690
For Bach specifically, the Werckmeister is widely used, although there are a
few other contenders. Go to my website
http://rollingball.com/TemperamentsFrames.htm to see a lot of graphs
representing the range of thirds and fifths in each of the temperaments.
Bradley Lehman more recently offers one on his website,
http://www.larips.com/ , using the following offsets which he deduces from
Bach's markings on the Anna Magdalena manuscript:

Eb 3.9
Bb 3.9
F 7.8
C 5.9
G 3.9
D 2.0
A 0.0
E -2.0
B 0.0
F# 2.0
C# 3.9
G# 3.9

Note, however, these offsets are all sharp except E, so this will put a lot
of additional tension on the piano. To equalize the tension, try:
Eb +1
Bb +1
F +4.9
C +3
G +1
D -0.9
A -2.9
E -4.9
B -2.9
F# -0.9
C# +1
G# +1

Also be aware that a temperament cannot really be reduced to cents, which
are approximations at best. The historic temperaments were usually set by
measures like "set this third as sharp as the ear can bear" - or in some
cases certain fifths were tuned perfect while others were tuned "as flat as
the ear can bear".

Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com . cell 425 830 1561
serving the eastside and the san juans