buffing keytops

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:30:29 -0400

I don't know of any in the area.
On my way to MARC, I am going to be checking some stores, in the larger population centres.
Lapidary, is a jewellery thing, right?
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Chick (Earthlink)
  To: 'Pianotech'
  Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 2:01 PM
  Subject: RE: buffing keytops

  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of MICHAEL MORVAN
  Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 12:50 PM
  To: Pianotech

  John,

      Canton flannel buffs are available from: Woodcraft 1-800-225-1153, Tool Crib 1-800-635-5140, Rockler 1-800-279-4441, Eagle America 1-800-872-2511, The Garrett Wade Tool Co. 1-800-221-2942 and many hardware stores. Be sure not to get a sewn wheel, get a loose sewn (1 or 2 stitches) and a loose section (1 stitch at the arbor)  Spiral sewn and sisal buffs are much to aggressive for keys but good for rough cutting metals. When ordering compound, get a buffing compound not a cutting compound, and I've found that the closer the color to the object your buffing the better. If your interested in knowing, I use 1hp Baldor buffing machines @1750 rpm with 10 inch dia. wheels. Separate machines for plastic, ivory, ebony and metals. Rake your wheels occasionally to keep them clean.