Moulded Keytops, problems buffing

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:24:20 -0400

Thanks Terry.
For some reason, I was thinking, you had 2 or 3 buffing wheels mounted on a shaft. Using either different material wheels, or different compound on each.
I guess I shouldn't think so much, using up too much grey stuff, not leaving enough for normal operation. :-)
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Terry
  To: Pianotech
  Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:31 AM
  Subject: Re: Moulded Keytops, problems buffing

  Hi John,

  I use the same arbor that I mount a saw blade on. The hole in the buffing wheels is the same size as the hole in a saw blade (whatever size hole that is). I mount the wheel on there just like I would mount a blade. If I'm standing at the ShopSmith, I push the motor to the far left and push the sliding table to the right. I do not use any type of table at the buffing wheel - I just stand there and run the key along the rotating wheel. I use the integral table to the right to set keys down on, but that is all - also I clamp a couple strips of wood to the edges of the table because the machine vibrates enough to otherwise make the keys walk off the table (DAMHIK). I will send you a picture privately - if anyone else wants one, let me know - email privately.

  Terry Farrell